Festo has created the Simplified Motion Series of electric drives for jobs requiring very simple motion or positioning, with the added bonus of being exceedingly easy to commission.
The all-in-one units from Festo are alternatives for users looking for pneumatics-like simplicity — with all the necessary components and modules, the company says, including the motor and controller incorporated into the one unit, with no external controller, control cabling, or control cabinet. See video demonstration below:
All five of the drives comprising the series employ the “plug and work” principle. All parameters can be manually adjusted directly on the drive without any special expertise, software, a computer or other accessories. Digital I/O and IO-Link are included as standard. With digital I/O, the drive’s speed and force, end positioning and cushioning can be set via touch commands right on the on-board controller. The process is remarkably simple and intuitive. Additional, extended functions are available using I/O Link, like remote setting of motion parameters, or copy and backup for parameter transfers between the drive and a computer.
The five drives were designed with the unique one-size-down assembly system, which means they can be easily paired in various combinations.
- ELGS spindle and toothed belt axis slides: The extremely compact spindle variant (ELGS-BS) comes in three sizes for a payload of up to 20 kg. at a max stroke length of 800 mm. The tooth belt variant (ELGS-TB) is ideal as a main axis in a handling system; it’s available in two sizes for up to 1.3 m/s at a max stroke of 2,000 mm. These slides can be mounted with each other or with an EGSS mini-slide.
- EGSS mini slide: This resilient mini slide provides smooth spindle operations for vertical Z movement or individual guided linear movements in every mounting position. The internal linear guide absorbs transverse loads and provides very good resistance to torsion at high torques. It comes in three sizes with a max stroke of 200 mm.
- EPCS Electric cylinder: The EPCS performs single linear movements, with a smooth y running ball screw drive that allows precise, rapid positioning. It’s ideally suited for applications such as positioning, clamping distribution, sorting or ejection, and in handling systems as a simple Z axis. It comes in three sizes with a max stroke of 500 mm.
- ELGE toothed belt axis: This design is ideal for very simple tasks with low requirements for mechanical load, dynamic response and precision – where the user wants a particularly attractively priced option for high running performance of 5000 km.
- ERMS rotary drive: For simple swivel tasks as well as for increased mechanical loads. It has a rotary plate with sturdy, precise and backlash-free ball bearings so it can absorb transverse loads and torques. It comes in two sizes, each with a swivel angle of 90 and 180. With the standardized mounting interface, it can be connected directly to a number of Festo mini-slides including the EGSS.